A Short History of Annables Estate
Annables Manor and associated fields are mentioned in the Doomsday Book.
The popular tale is that 6 architects had the idea of building a Garden Village, similar to Welwyn Garden, during the early 1930’s. They identified the relatively flat land between what is now called Annables Lane and Kinsbourne Green Lane to the north and west of the crossroads at Kinsbourne Common.
They planned to build houses to their individual designs, so that no two would be the same. They would then rent them out, as was the custom in those days, and continue to build houses from the proceeds.
Britain declared war on 3rd September 1939. War time restrictions reduced house building and only Windy Ridge (re-named Spring View) was completed prior to the end of the war in Europe in 1945. A further five houses were built and completed during 1945 and 1946.
Of the 6 architects only 2 remained interested in the scheme after the war and they were faced with Development Charge and Town and Country Planning restrictions. They felt it best to sell the houses and the remaining plots. In order to close their business, they needed the remaining assets consisting of roads, grass verges, trees and the sewerage system to be taken over and they approached the then residents.
In 1959 the residents clubbed together and formed Annables (Management) Company Limited to take over from the architect’s company, Annables Development. Legal documents were prepared changing ownership from the old company to the new. The constitution of the new company put it in the hands of a board. There was a requirement that each residence should pay a contribution (levy) to the maintenance of the estate. This currently stands at only £300 per year.
By the year 2019 Annables Estate comprised 32 houses.
The history of Harpenden website links
A short history of the estate and the geology of the land.